1st Class Structural Fitter
- Read and interpret basic drawings and weld symbols. (KPI)
- Technically proficient in structural fitting tasks, work processes, and equipment operations (KPI)
- Press operation and programming knowledge (KPI)
- Ability to work to Swift Ships structural standards (KPI)
- Inspection of work, identification of potential problems, initiation of corrective actions. (KPI)
- Increase awareness of Quality procedures within the department (KPI)
- Perform as a productive working team member that meets daily goals set by the supervisor. (KPI)
- Continuously improve communications and flexibility within the team. (KPI)
- Build pride in workmanship and quality through job training. (KPI)
- Contribute towards innovation/productivity improvements. (KPI)
- Assist in the control of waste elimination, e.g. materials, consumables, etc. (KPI)
- Assist supervisor to maintain control of department equipment and its maintenance. (KPI)
- Work towards the team goal of delivering the vessel on time. (KPI)
- Ensure the work area is left clean, and all equipment and tools are stowed away safely and protected against damage (KPI).
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- 6 years experience in a similar role at a comparative employer.
- Pass approved 1st–Class Fitter Test
- Ability to work from construction drawings
- Knowledge of shipboard terminology such as general ship structure and layout
- Ability to add, subtract, divide, multiply, and measure to the metric and standard systems
- Knowledge of equipment, work processes, and techniques used in measuring and fitting components, modules, and vessels
- Advanced knowledge of engineering drawings and sketches
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit.
Specific physical requirements include but are not limited to the following:
- Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel.
- Perform prolonged standing.
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Lift/push/pull 50lbs on an occasional basis.
- Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
- Ability to work at heights above 12’ while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
- Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
- Ability to enter 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time within OSHA guidelines.
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
- Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters whole performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud. PPE available and MUST be used correctly.
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks. Ability to deal with problems that may arise in certain situations.
What we Offer
We offer you competitive salary and benefits packages with good career development opportunities. At Swiftships, we recognize the value of every employee. Your ideas can take root among a talented team of successful leaders and high achievers – dedicated to excellence, passionate about results, and committed to impact and growth. You will find great opportunities to grow, advance your knowledge, and acquire and cultivate your skills for a bright and successful future. We are committed to creating a safe work environment where everyone is respected and valued.
Swiftships has been a military and commercial vessel manufacturer since 1969. Swiftships’ delivery to all branches of the U.S. military, commercial/private companies, and 52 foreign countries has established Swiftships’ recognition as a leader in the shipbuilding industry today. U.S. Navy-approved and ISO-certified Swiftships’ American quality build and innovative designs are the envy of the industry; its unique capabilities are designed to meet real‐world requirements and applications not only to the United States, but also to countless governments across the globe. In this role, you will lead a large project design of significant scope and impact. Your ability to work independently with limited direction, communicate effectively with team members in disparate geographic locations, and provide leadership and direction will be keys to your success. You will assist in the management of multiple projects and priorities and participate with operation teams, foremen, and management teams. As a single point of contact between operations and management teams, you will negotiate, resolve problems, and develop relationships at all levels of the organization as well as with outside vendors and contractors.