Swiftships Co-production Programs
Our Comprehensive Support in
Establishing Local Capability
Newbuild & Deployment
Autonomy & Systems
Maintenance, Repair & Modernization
For economic and strategic reasons, our clients may choose to have vessels constructed at their locations. Swiftships recognized these needs, and became a U.S. based maritime company specializing in global co-production programs. Our localization programs support governments in increasing their indigenous industrial base, creating local employment and bringing technology and know-how to their countries for long-term benefit.
We have extensive experience working with international clients, and we are very familiar with ITAR (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) requirements and processes for Transfer of Technology (ToT), Transfer of Production (ToP), Program Management (PM) and Specialized Training for Transfer of Knowledge (ToK).
Build-Operate-Transfer and Manage (BOTM)
Swiftships’ approach is highly flexible and tailored to our customers’ needs. We offer our clients different packages based on their objectives and requirements. They may vary from vessel’s design licensing, to full scope assistance in developing production capability, KITs supply and day-to-day management. Our scope of expertise spans across the following areas:
- Feasibility study and project planning for local production
- Maritime infrastructure planning, designing and establishment
- Design royalty/licensing and transfer of technology
- Transfer of knowledge and data packages
- Production readiness detailed plan
- Transfer of specialty equipment and systems
- Agreement implementation under DCS or FMS, and other documentation
- Supply chain planning, implementation and management systems
- Specialized training programs
- R&D and innovation capability development
designs, technology & production readiness
Our licensing options give licensees access to Swiftships’ portfolio that includes over 100 proprietary designs and test data packages, for naval and commercial platforms. Having extensive experience in ToT/ToP practices, we provide our clients capability to build the same quality vessels at their location. We assist our clients in establishing production readiness by providing specialty equipment and systems, transfer of special types of manufacturing and shipbuilding materials, Kit of Material (KoM) packages, electronics and communication equipment, and components. We share Swiftships’ proprietary quality management and process control systems, calibration and control standards, sampling and testing programs.
comprehensive training programs
Swiftships has developed the best practices for knowledge transfer through specialized training programs for management and workforce, including:
- USA based shipbuilding and kit assembly training
- Hands-on co-production support at the client’s location
- In-classroom instructor-led training
- On-the-job mentoring and micro-learning
- Simulator-based training
- Fleet management and maintenance
Our program management scope includes program feasibility study, planning, implementation and day-to-day management. Our methods are focused on knowledge and technology transfer to develop local production capability in the most efficient way and to roll-out local production successfully. We provide a comprehensive planning of the entire program and ensure full execution in the agreed time frame.
Swiftships provides clients a comprehensive list of international suppliers. We help our clients evaluate and select the optimal providers, build sustainable supply chain, efficient inventory management system and manufacturing process systems.
We work closely with our clients during the localization program. We provide swift solutions to any possible challenge that might arise and ensure our customers reach their goals.
- Access to over 100 proprietary designs and hulls for military and commercial vessels
- Turnkey production readiness for all phases of construction for vessels of all sizes—small (Riverine Craft to FPVs), medium (OPVs to Corvettes), and large (Frigates and Multi-Mission Surface Combatants)
- Access to various suppliers and partners to address complex elements such as systems integration, design-engineering, training, and operation
- Personal assistance in obtaining approval under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) approval processes
- Opportunity to achieve optimal shipbuilding capacity and ship-operation lifecycle support (warranty and follow-on-technical support)
- Access to Swiftships’ continuous R&D development and innovation in autonomous systems
- Continuous training programs
Case Study: Swiftships BOT Program Enhances Egyptian Industrial Base to Five Times the Size
Swiftships’ relationship with the Egyptian Navy (EN) started in the nineties with FMS contracts. Based on mutual trust and historical performance, the Egyptian Navy (EN) asked Swiftships to support the need to build their vessels in-country.
Swiftships upgraded the EN’s military shipbuilding capability in two ways. It used Transfer of Technology (ToT) to co-produce vessels under the U.S. Navy program of record in Egypt for the EN. It also used Transfer of Production (ToP) to train the local naval-commercial shipyard team to produce ships with the same quality as the US yards.
Swiftships prepared full feasibility studies and executional plans. We licensed our 28m Coastal Patrol Craft (CPC) designs, and transferred technology using Manufacturing License Agreement (MLA) approved by DDTC 2. We delivered kits under our ToP program and provided Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to transfer knowledge to co-produce CPCs in Egypt. A number of Swiftships SMEs and Quality Assurance personnel resided in Egypt to implement design, inventory, and quality control processes, and to train in accordance with Trade Assistance Agreement (TAA).
Maritime Infrastructure Development in Egypt
Swiftships assisted in building, modernizing and furnishing over 5.5 acres of office space, five production bays, two syncrolifts, and a dry port, enabling the Egyptian Shipyard to build steel and aluminum vessels and repair ships of up to 70 meters. Among its features are a mechanical slipway, floating dock and cranes, and advanced paint systems.
Swiftships co-produced 15 CPCs by 2019 in accordance with the U.S. Navy’s High Speed Naval Craft (HSNC) rules at the Egyptian Shipyard. We trained 500 Egyptian workers to construct and maintain vessels to meet the EN’s critical mission requirements.
Swiftships’ Build Operate and Transfer (BOT) program offering has enhanced the Egyptian shipbuilding industry and increased localization by augmenting the previous industrial base to five times the size.
The Swiftships-EN relationship is further progressing and the EN is pursuing several expansion plans. Swiftships constantly supports the EN with required technical and management training, provides access to the emerging technology and system upgrades.