BUILD, OPERATE & TRANSFER
Clients may need to build ships in their own location for economic or political reasons. Swiftships identified these needs many years ago and became one of a very few U.S. based maritime companies specializing in local building programs at various degrees of involvement. We have extensive experience working with international clients and are very familiar with ITAR requirements on exporting shipbuilding technology, manufacturing equipment, and “know-how.”
• Feasibility study and process development
• Shipyard design and process planning
• Design royalty/licensing and transfer of technology
• Production readiness detailed plan
• Transfer of specialty equipment and systems
• Transfer of knowledge and data packages
• Specialized training programs
• Integration of R&D and Innovation developments
• Agreement implementation under Direct Commercial Sales (DCS) or Foreign • Military Funds (FMF) contracts
• Access to Swiftships worldwide networks and continuous program management support
Swiftships works closely with the client during the localization program. We make sure that our partners reach their goals and that any possible problems or issues in local facility are quickly resolved. Other advantages of having Swiftships as a localization partner include:
• Access to over one hundred proprietary designs and hulls for military and commercial vessels
• Turnkey production readiness for all phases of construction for vessels of all sizes—small (20m to 45m), medium (OPVs to Corvettes), and large (MMSCs)
• Access to various suppliers and partners to address complex elements such as systems integration, design-engineering, training, and operation
• Personal assistance in obtaining approval under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) approval processes
• Opportunity to achieve optimal shipbuilding capacity and ship-operation lifecycle support (warranty and follow-on-technical support)
• Access to Swiftships’ R&D and knowledge and development of autonomous systems
• Continued training and technology updates
Swiftships’ relationship with the Egyptian Navy started in the 90s with FMS contracts. Based on mutual trust and historical performance, the Egyptian Navy (EN) asked Swiftships to support its requirement that its vessels be built in-country.
Swiftships upgraded the EN’s military shipbuilding capability in two ways. It used Transfer of Technology (ToT) to co-produce vessels under the U.S. Navy program of record in Egypt for the EN. It also used Transfer of Production (ToP) to train the local naval-commercial shipyard.
Swiftships prepared full feasibility studies and executional plans. We licensed our 28m CPC designs and transferred technology using MLA approved by DDTC 2. We sold kits under our ToP program and provided subject matter experts (SMEs) to transfer knowledge to co-produce craft in Egypt. A number of Swiftships SMEs and Quality Assurance personnel reside in Egypt to maintain design, inventory, and quality control and to offer training in accordance with Trade Adjustment Assistance (TAA).
Shipyard and Capabilities
In 2009 Swiftships built and furnished over 5.5 acres of office space, five production bays, two syncrolifts, and a dry port. The Egyptian Shipyard can now build steel and aluminum vessels and repair ships of up to 70 meters. Among its features are a mechanical slipway, floating dock and crane, and advanced paint systems.
Swiftships has co-produced 15 craft to date under the U.S. Navy’s High Speed Naval Craft (HSNC) rules at the Egyptian Ship Repair and Building Company (ESRBC) EN Yard. We trained 500 Egyptian workers there to construct and maintain vessels to meet the EN’s critical mission requirements.
Swiftships’ Build Operate and Transfer (BOT) program offering has enhanced the Egyptian shipbuilding industry and increased localization by increasing the previous industrial base to five times the size.
The Swiftships-EN relationship is further progressing and the EN has agreed on a number of expansion plans. Swiftships constantly supports the EN with its required training, technology updates, and innovation leadership.
Complete analysis including revenue projections, investment evaluation, risk leverage solutions, and more.
Shipyard Design and Construction
Detailed planning of modern and digitized shipyards, construction management, implementation of safety standards, and environment impact studies.
Designs and Transfer of Technology
Access to over hundred naval and commercial vessels designs and test data with options to modification and adjustments.
Specialty Equipment and Systems
Quality management and process control systems, calibration and control standards, control, sampling, and testing programs.
Capability Development and Roll-Out
Transfer of special types of manufacturing and shipbuilding materials, supply chain management, and operations management.
Training and Day-to-Day Management
U.S. based shipbuilding and kit assembly training, with hands-on co-production support at the client’s location.
ILS services include the implementation and management of the procurement process for production and consumables, ordering systems, warehouse setup and management, performance-based logistics, manpower analysis, and more. Swiftships’ supply chain management solutions are focused on cost reduction, minimizing risks, and overall efficiency.
Swiftships technical assistance is provided by highly skilled field experts and covers the ship’s entire life cycle, including preventative and emergency management, document control, dredging and syncrolift, and more. We closely collaborate with our worldwide supplier networks and make sure that any emergency issue is resolved efficiently and on time.
Over the years Swiftships has developed unique partnerships with hundreds of suppliers. Our optimized supply management system and ILS practices result in tremendous savings for our clients. We provide day-to-day support via RHIBs or spare parts supply contracts for the clients’ future requirements and continuous updates.