Swifthips Co-production Programs
Our Comprehensive Support in
Establishing Local Capability
Newbuild & Deployment
Autonomy & Systems
For economic and strategic reasons, our clients may choose to have vessels constructed at their locations. Swiftships recognized these needs several years ago, and became a U.S. based maritime company specializing in co-production programs. Our localization programs support governments increasing their indigenous industrial base, creating local employment and bringing technology and know-how to their countries
We have extensive experience working with international clients, and we are very familiar with ITAR requirements and processes for Transfer of Technology (ToT), Transfer of Production (ToP), Program Management (PM) and Specialized Training for knowledge transfer.
Build-Operate-Transfer and Manage (BOTM)
Swiftships’ work approach is highly flexible and tailored to our customers’ needs. We offer our clients different packages based on their objectives and requirements. They may vary from vessel’s design, to licensing, to full scope assistance in developing production capability, and day-to-day management. Our scope of expertise spans across the following areas:
- Feasibility study and project planning
- Shipyard design and infrastructure planning
- Design royalty/licensing and transfer of technology
- Production readiness detailed plan
- Transfer of specialty equipment and systems
- Transfer of knowledge and data packages
- Agreement implementation under DCS or FMS, and other documentation
- Specialized training programs
- Supply chain planning, implementation and management systems
- R&D and Innovation capability development
designs, technology & production readiness
Our licensing options give licenses access to Swiftships’ portfolio that includes over 100 proprietary designs and test data packages for naval and commercial platforms. Having extensive experience in ToT/ToP practices, we provide our clients capability to build same quality vessels in their location. We also help our clients to establish production readiness by proving specialty equipment and systems, transfer of special types of manufacturing and shipbuilding materials, Kit Of Material (KoM) packages, electronics and communication equipment, components, etc… We assist our clients in establishing quality management and process control systems, calibration and control standards, sampling and testing programs.
comprehensive training programs
Swifthips has developed the best and most efficient practices for knowledge transfer through specialized training programs for management and workforce, including:
- U.S. based shipbuilding and kit assembly training
- In-class room instructor-led training
- Simulations, electronics and mechanics
- Hands-on co-production support at the client’s location
- On-the-job mentoring and microlearning
Our program management scope includes program feasibility study, planning, implementation and day-to-day management. Our methods are focused on knowledge and technology transfer to develop local capability in the most efficient way and roll-out local production successfully.
We provide a comprehensive planning of the entire project and ensure full execution in the agreed time frame. We provide a comprehensive list of suppliers for our clients to choose from. We help our clients evaluate and select the optimal providers, build sustainable supply chain, efficient inventory management systems and manufacturing process systems.
We work closely with clients during the localization program. We provide swift solutions to any possible challenge that might arise and ensure our customers reach their goals.
• Access to over one hundred proprietary designs and hulls for military and commercial vessels
• Turnkey production readiness for all phases of construction for vessels of all sizes—small (20m to 45m), medium (OPVs to Corvettes), and large (MMSCs)
• Access to various suppliers and partners to address complex elements such as systems integration, design-engineering, training, and operation
• Personal assistance in obtaining approval under International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) approval processes
• Opportunity to achieve optimal shipbuilding capacity and ship-operation lifecycle support (warranty and follow-on-technical support)
• Access to Swiftships’ continuous R&D development and innovation in autonomous systems
• Continuous training programs
Case Study: Swiftships BOT Program Enhances Egyptian Industrial Base to Five Times the Size
Swiftships’ relationship with the Egyptian Navy started in the nineties with FMS contracts. Based on mutual trust and historical performance, the Egyptian Navy (EN) asked Swiftships to support its requirement to build their vessels in-country.
Swiftships upgraded the EN’s military shipbuilding capability in two ways. It used Transfer of Technology (ToT) to co-produce vessels under the U.S. Navy program of record in Egypt for the EN. It also used Transfer of Production (ToP) to train the local naval-commercial shipyard to produce ships with the same quality as the US yards.
Swiftships prepared full feasibility studies and executional plans. We licensed our 28m CPC designs, and transferred technology using MLA approved by DDTC 2. We delivered kits under our ToP program, and provided Subject Matter Expert
Shipyard and Capabilities
In 2009 Swiftships built and furnished over 5.5 acres of office space, five production bays, two syncrolifts, and a dry port. The Egyptian Shipyard can now build steel and aluminum vessels and repair ships of up to 70 meters. Among its features are a mechanical slipway, floating dock and crane, and advanced paint systems.
Swiftships has co-produced 15 craft to date under the U.S. Navy’s High Speed Naval Craft (HSNC) rules at the Egyptian Ship Repair and Building Company (ESRBC) EN Yard. We trained 500 Egyptian workers to construct and maintain vessels to meet the EN’s critical mission requirements.
Swiftships’ Build Operate and Transfer (BOT) program offering has enhanced the Egyptian shipbuilding industry and increased localization by augmenting the previous industrial base to five times the size.
The Swiftships-EN relationship is further progressing and the EN has agreed on a number of expansion plans. Swiftships constantly supports the EN with its required training, technology updates, and innovation leadership.