History and Milestones
Our success is the outcome of a long path of endurance, perseverance, and determination. We cannot reflect on our past without paying tribute to the passionate leaders who cemented Swiftships recognition as a leading shipbuilder, and the most innovative and practical solutions provider for our clients’ critical missions.
Fred Steward, Founder, 1942
“My vision was to create a ship with an aluminum hull that excels in shallow water military engagements. Prior vessel designs for shallow waters were either slow or wooden, leaving a large gap in the U.S. Naval capability for effective inland water navigation.”
Calvin A. LeLeux, CEO, 1970-2019
“My whole life and passion has been building boats. We have been willing to drive our flag and new solutions into many different countries around the world.”
Jeff Leleux, President, Current
"Swiftships is determined to remain at the front of maritime technology development. We are currently pioneering in build and conversion of Autonomous Vessels, and we are growing our global presence through co-production activities and expanding our MRO segment."
• The founder’s vision was to create a ship with an aluminum hull that excelled in shallow water military engagements.
• Earlier vessel designs for shallow waters were either slow or wooden, leaving a large gap in US naval capability for effective inland water navigation.
• The main mission objective of the Swift Boat was to provide the Navy with a fast boat that could patrol many miles of the river shores. The Swiftships’ Patrol Boat allowed navigation of short river channels that were inaccessible to most small boat designs at the time.
• Swiftships delivered 193 patrol boats to the US Navy throughout the Vietnam conflict, creating a reputation as an excellent and trusted supplier of shallow water hulls.
• Swiftships business strategy was built on the belief in long-term relationship with clients. We have always strived to provide governments, navies and commercial customers with the most advantageous solutions and we earned their trust.
• Over 1000 Vessels Built
• Over 100 Design/IP Owned
• 53 Nations Served