Steel Pipe Fitter
As a Pipe Fitter you will be expected to work in Morgan City, LA within a team of Pipe Fitters to achieve maximum production in minimum time, standards and quality in keeping with company policies, while maintaining a positive and motivated team environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The individual must have working knowledge of procedures, strong mechanical aptitude and the ability to follow directions. The individual must possess experience in the trade, knowledge of ship terminology, ability to interpret engineering drawings. The individual must demonstrate ability to interpret job specifications and perform work on marine vessels.
Must be able to follow directions and work with limited supervision. Must be willing to develop other team member’s skill level.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Read and interpret drawings, blueprints and specifications to determine layout requirements
- Cut openings for pipe in walls, floors and ceilings using hand or power tools or machines
- Ability to Measure, cut, thread and bend pipe to required shape using hand and power tools
- Test system for leaks using testing equipment
- Clean and maintain pipe units and fittings and flush system
- Install clamps, brackets and hangers to support piping system using hand and power tools
- Ability to install pipe systems on board vessels in a safe and productive manner
- Ability to safely rig equipment following all OSHA requirements.
- Inspection of work, identification of potential problems, initiation of corrective actions
- Increase awareness of Quality procedures within department
- Ensure correct work procedures adhered to
- Perform as a productive working team member that meets daily goals set by the supervisor
- Continuously improve communications and flexibility within the team)
- Help build the team environment
- Build pride of workmanship and quality through on job training
- Contribute towards innovation / productivity improvements
- Assist in the control of waste elimination, e.g. materials, consumables etc.
- Assist supervisor to maintain control of department equipment and its maintenance
- Prepared to Step up as supervisor when required
- Must have full set of personal tools
- Work towards the team goal of delivering the vessel on time
- Always be ready to start shift on time
- Follow Swift Ships guidelines and procedures
- Do not leave job early or return late from break times
- Ensure work area is left clean, all equipment and tools are stowed away safely and protected against damage
- 2 years’ experience in a similar role at comparative employer
- Pass the “1st” Class pipe fitters’ tests; written with a minimum score of 70% and practical with a minimum score of 90%
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos
- Ability to write simple correspondence
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, divide, and measure using the metric system
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form
- Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel
- Perform prolonged standing
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis
- Lift/push/pull 50lbs on an occasional basis
- Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps)
- Ability to work at heights above 12’ while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
- Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead)
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures
- Ability to enter 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time within OSHA guidelines
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills
- Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters whole performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud. PPE available and MUST be used correctly.
Must comply with company, federal, state, and local safety and environmental rules and regulations while performing daily job tasks. Ability to deal with problems that may arise in certain situations.
- US Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization is required
What we Offer
We offer you competitive salary and benefit packages with good career development opportunities. At Swiftships, we recognize the value of every employee. Your ideas can take root among a talented team of successful leaders and high achievers – dedicated to excellence, passionate about results, and committed to impact and growth. You will find great opportunities to grow, advance your knowledge, and acquire and cultivate your skills for a bright and successful future. We are committed to creating a safe work environment where everyone is respected and valued.
Swiftships is trusted to provide high-end solutions critical to multi-domain distributed maritime operations, well aligned with future U.S. Navy and Department of Defense modernization and readiness priorities. With experience in all aspects of engineering, shipbuilding and with the ability to provide maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services for different vessel types, Swiftships stands as a complete solution provider to the client.
Since our establishment in 1942, Swiftships was known in the market for bringing innovative and effective solutions to offer end-to-end shipbuilding, testing and delivery services for new vessels, complemented by hands-on training and vessel’s lifecycle sustainment support. Our clients book includes Navies and Maritime customers from 53 countries. Our current geographical focus is North America and AMEA, and we predominantly serve Department of Defense, Navies and Army operations, as a prime or sub.