Our Purchasing Buyer is responsible for procuring materials, supplies, and services for the company while meeting established quality, cost, and delivery requirements. The buyer position manages the operational flow of items including material acquisition, inventory reconciliation, in addition to reaching out frequently to suppliers, the person in this role must be knowledgeable with Purchasing Systems, Marine parts suppliers in the region. Comfortable working with co-workers across functional areas at all levels of the organization.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for procuring supplies and equipment through a variety of informal open market procedures, mandatory sources of supply
- Submit purchase orders for materials, establish priorities to meet project orders, and resolve shipping or billing issues
- Proactively identify product availability issues and provide supply status and shipment tracking to internal partners
- Maintain accurate system planning parameters per established processes, including recommending process improvements to improve efficiencies
- Utilize system reports as well as experience and judgment to order materials
- Provide leadership in the preparation for and/or participation in supplier negotiations
- Execute supplier performance initiatives to improve vendor accountability
- Resolve customer service or product quality issues and complaints by identifying root cause and ensuring appropriate actions are taken with suppliers as needed including charge backs from customers and expedited freight charges
- Work with accounts payable to investigate, problem solve, and resolve vendor billing discrepancies
- Bachelor’s Degree in supply chain, operations, logistics, materials management, or related field required
- Minimum of 3 years directly related experience in purchasing, production planning/scheduling, or inventory management, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Proficiency in MRP/ERP systems
- Superior problem solving skills
- High level of expertise with Excel
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks, work collaboratively in a cross-functional environment, and ensure timely completion of responsibilities
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and verbal communication and strong interpersonal skills
- Effective negotiation skills
- Procurement Manager
- US Citizenship or Certificate of Naturalization is required
What we Offer
We offer you competitive salary and benefit packages with good career development opportunities. At Swiftships, we recognize the value of every employee. Your ideas can take root among a talented team of successful leaders and high achievers – dedicated to excellence, passionate about results, and committed to impact and growth. You will find great opportunities to grow, advance your knowledge, and acquire and cultivate your skills for a bright and successful future. We are committed to creating a safe work environment where everyone is respected and valued.
Swiftships is trusted to provide high-end solutions critical to multi-domain distributed maritime operations, well aligned with future U.S. Navy and Department of Defense modernization and readiness priorities. With experience in all aspects of engineering, shipbuilding and with the ability to provide maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services for different vessel types, Swiftships stands as a complete solution provider to the client.
Since our establishment in 1942, Swiftships was known in the market for bringing innovative and effective solutions to offer end-to-end shipbuilding, testing and delivery services for new vessels, complemented by hands-on training and vessel’s lifecycle sustainment support. Our clients book includes Navies and Maritime customers from 53 countries. Our current geographical focus is North America and AMEA, and we predominantly serve Department of Defense, Navies and Army operations, as a prime or sub.