As an integral member of the Swiftships team, the Mechanical Engineer will oversee the coordination and administration of all aspects of mechanical engineering for both Military and Commercial Construction programs and/or Shipbuilding. Overall responsibilities, include but are not limited to researching, designing, developing, testing, or supervising the manufacturing and installation of electrical equipment, components, or systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. The Mechanical Engineer will report directly to the Engineering Manager.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Operate computer-assisted engineering or design software or equipment to perform engineering tasks
- Prepare technical drawings, specifications of mechanical systems and procedures to ensure that installation and operations conform to standards and customer requirements
- Confer with engineers, customers, or others to discuss existing or potential engineering projects or products
- Design, implement, maintain, or improve mechanical systems, equipment, facilities, components or products for commercial, industrial, or domestic purposes
- Direct or coordinate manufacturing, construction, installation, maintenance, support, documentation, or testing activities to ensure compliance with specifications, codes, or customer requirements
- Compile data and write reports regarding existing or potential mechanical engineering studies or projects
- Perform detailed calculations to compute and establish manufacturing, construction, or installation standards or specifications
- Prepare specifications for purchases of materials or equipment
- Estimate labor, material, or construction costs for budget preparation purposes
- Supervise or train project team members as necessary
- Degree in Mechanical, Marine, or Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited university, or the equivalent of an engineering degree (registered PE, etc.)
- Ability to use AutoCAD or similar systems
- 6 – 10 years of engineering design experience is preferred
- Previous shipbuilding experience
- Previous systems and/or design engineering experience
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services
- Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principals involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models
- Excellent communication skills
- English Language: knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- A qualified candidate should be proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- It is desired that the candidate be familiar with shipboard mechanical systems requirements found in ABS, USCG and USN documents.
Mixed production and office environment
What we Offer
We offer you competitive salary and benefit packages with good career development opportunities. At Swiftships, we recognize the value of every employee. Your ideas can take root among a talented team of successful leaders and high achievers – dedicated to excellence, passionate about results, and committed to impact and growth. You will find great opportunities to grow, advance your knowledge, and acquire and cultivate your skills for a bright and successful future. We are committed to creating a safe work environment where everyone is respected and valued.
Swiftships is trusted to provide high-end solutions critical to multi-domain distributed maritime operations, well aligned with future U.S. Navy and Department of Defense modernization and readiness priorities. With experience in all aspects of engineering, shipbuilding and with the ability to provide maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services for different vessel types, Swiftships stands as a complete solution provider to the client.
Since our establishment in 1942, Swiftships was known in the market for bringing innovative and effective solutions to offer end-to-end shipbuilding, testing and delivery services for new vessels, complemented by hands-on training and vessel’s lifecycle sustainment support. Our clients book includes Navies and Maritime customers from 53 countries. Our current geographical focus is North America and AMEA, and we predominantly serve Department of Defense, Navies and Army operations, as a prime or sub.