Crane Operators in the Yard area are responsible for operating various type cranes, i.e. overhead, locomotive and bridge cranes and have functional knowledge of crane rigging in the movement of material in a manufacturing plant of, shipyard, or construction project. Responsible for performing routine building maintenance tasks. Performance of building maintenance tasks in one or more fields (e.g. carpentry; electrical; heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC); plumbing, general labor, etc.); Perform general cleaning. Perform other tasks as assigned.
- Basic reading, writing, math (addition and subtraction) and reading a tape measure.
- Knowledge and use of hand signals.
- Familiar with hooking and rigging techniques.
- Capable of operating locomotive, bridge and overhead cranes.
- Functional knowledge and application of crane safety check sheets.
- 1-2 years of operating experience.
- Secures building prior and following extreme weather conditions, as needed.
- Performs minor electrical maintenance to include but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g. wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools.
- Order parts and maintain required documents.
- Performs minor plumbing maintenance (e.g. replacement or repair of leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging of drains, trenching and laying new lines, replacing drain hoses on washers and similar devices, etc.).
- Inspects buildings and other structures to determine functional systems and detect malfunctions and needed repair making notes and recommendations using a pre‐established check sheet.
- Reconfigures, installs, positions, and remounts modular offices and space (e.g. furniture, wall panels, work surfaces, storage bins, lighting, file cabinets, etc.) to accommodate user needs and maximize office space using various hand, power and specialty tools, dollies and hand trucks.
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, if needed.
- Operate various types of cranes, i.e. overhead, locomotive, and bridge cranes and teach others; possess 3-5 years’ operating experience.
Very Heavy work involves exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects, Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Heavy Work.
- Ability to push a minimum of 100 pounds (power cleaning appliances); ability to lift a minimum of 50 pounds (trash and supplies).
- Ability to climb ladder and step ladder.
- Bending at the waist, sitting, kneeling, laying horizontally, climbing, walking, etc., as job may require.
What we Offer
We offer you competitive salary and benefits packages with good career development opportunities. At Swiftships, we recognize the value of every employee. Your ideas can take root among a talented team of successful leaders and high achievers – dedicated to excellence, passionate about results, and committed to impact and growth. You will find great opportunities to grow, advance your knowledge, and acquire and cultivate your skills for a bright and successful future. We are committed to creating a safe work environment where everyone is respected and valued.
Swiftships is trusted to provide high-end solutions critical to multi-domain distributed maritime operations, well aligned with future U.S. Navy and Department of Defense modernization and readiness priorities. With experience in all aspects of engineering, and shipbuilding and with the ability to provide maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) services for different vessel types, Swiftships stands as a complete solution provider to the client.
Since our establishment in 1942, Swiftships was known in the market for bringing innovative and effective solutions to offer end-to-end shipbuilding, testing and delivery services for new vessels, complemented by hands-on training and vessel lifecycle sustainment support. Our clients’ book includes Navies and Maritime customers from 53 countries. Our current geographical focus is North America and AMEA, and we predominantly serve the Department of Defense, Navies and Army operations, as a prime or sub.