Trusted by Navies since 1942
Swiftships’ endowed a presence as a military contractor after the delivery of 193 Patrol Boats for the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam conflict. Since then, Swiftships has continued to expand its reach towards the defense industry by providing vessels for 52 foreign governments and constructed over 650 hulls, so far.
Original Vision of
• Sewart Machine Works, Swiftships’ predecessor, was founded in 1942 by Fred Sewart that at the tail end of WWII was renamed to Sewart Seacraft.
• Founder’s vision was to create a ship with an aluminum hull that excelled in shallow water military engagements.
• Prior vessel designs for shallow waters were either slow or wooden, leaving a large gap in US naval capability for effective inland water navigation.
Vietnam Conflict and
the ‘Swift Boats’
• Swiftships became a key supplier of “Swift Boats” to the US Navy during the Vietnam War.
• The mission objective of the Swift Boat was to provide the Navy with a fast boat that could patrol the many miles of river shores for enemy soldiers − The Swiftships’ Patrol Boat allowed navigation of short river channels that were inaccessible to most small boat designs at the time.
• Swiftships delivered 193 patrol boats to the US Navy throughout the conflict, creating a reputation as an excellent and trusted supplier of shallow water hulls.
Aluminum & Welding
We are experts in using aluminum to create light-weight but strong vessel structures. We use fusion welding to join steel and aluminum, a unique technique that has resulted in time-tested hulls.
Mechanics & Systems
A few key areas include advanced hydromechanics and propulsion systems, launching platforms and wells, motion control, and weapon systems. All are employed to increase seakeeping, maneuverability and speed, noise and vibration control while providing the most efficient operations and smallest environmental impact.
Designs & Hull Structures
Our proprietary V-hull designs and perfected lifting spray chines allow vessels to go faster with less horsepower while they reduce rolling. Designs feature aerodynamic profiles and make our vessels more maneuverable than the competition.
Automation & Electrics
We optimize and integrate motion control, integrated management systems, sensors, and navigation so we need fewer crew members and can mount a faster response more safely.
For economic or strategic reasons, our clients want vessels construction at a location of their choice. Swiftships has extensive experience working with international clients on co-productions programs, and we offer customized involvement to meet your needs.
- Access to over 120 Proprietary Designs
- Production Information and Historical Data
- Tested Hulls and Technology Transfer
- Kits, Components and Spare Parts
- First Class Suppliers
- Just-on-Time and Reliable Deliveries
- Capability Development and Roll-Out
- Transfer of Specialty Equipment & Systems
- Training Programs and Operations Management
- Modern and Digitized Shipyards
- Design and Construction Management
- Safety Standards & Environment Impact Studies